Monday, February 2, 2015

Chump Change?

Mark 12:41-44, Luke 21:1-4 “The Widow’s Offering”

I’m starting my quest for Obedience to God. This morning it began with something very simple that in some ways was also difficult: giving away spare change.
     Every year our church receives empty baby bottles from a local pregnancy center that we are supposed to fill with money that will go towards preventing abortions. In the past I’ve looked at the empty bottle and subconsciously reacted, “I want to help save babies. But I can’t afford to give away my spare change. That’s our tiny savings for a rainy day. Someone else’s easy $10 will do more good than my sacrificial $7.52.”
     What I realized today was that I needed to embrace these opportunities to give; I needed to be excited about them and do everything I could to help in Christ’s name. So I promptly took out my recycled yogurt container of loose change and let the kids fill the bottle with coins while I explained that the money would “help teach ladies how to take care of the babies in their tummies.”
     And I recognized the necessity not only of giving, but of sharing with my boys a legacy of giving and the attitude of a willing heart to do the Lord’s work.
     The story in Mark and Luke of the widow offering her only two copper coins in Obedience to God encouraged me to give my own coins – a meager quantity that would look like chump change to a lot of people (in this country) but means quite a bit to me who has little to offer.
     And instead of worrying what I would be unable to buy with those few dollars, I found excitement and blessing in my heart as the Spirit taught me to rejoice in the potential glory it would bring to the Father. I found myself praying for the precious mother and baby whose lives might be changed by the $7.52 (or however much) I sacrificed out of Obedience.

O Lord, what wonders you can do with even less than that! Thank you for allowing me, your humble servant, to be a part of your amazing Plan. Keep my eyes and heart open to discover more opportunities to Obey you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment